Search This Blog

Monday 8 April 2019

An introduction to armchair philosophy


Hello Everyone this is British Tyrannosaur here

I've been interested in creating a blog to share my writing talent. Well i say talent, more I'm just pretty good at talking about themes, and see myself as an armchair philosopher. I've spent since 2016 creating youtube content, improving as I go. A lot of the time i cover the geeky dumb things I love. Nowadays that's Jurassic Park but I alsocover Marvel DC, dinosaur media, video games occasionally. I like to discuss them in a usually unscripted style but sometimes I do take the time to write scripts for more long form topics, analysis & reviews.

What I pride myself in is analyzing and engaging in thematic storytelling, interpreting that and discussing narratives. I do keep myself well read. Not on the works of Kant or any other real philosophers, (but I probably should) but normally authors of science fiction. My favourite author is Micheal Crichton, who sadly died in 2008 but who's memory lives on. His prophetic work served not only as gripping thrillers but as commentary on human nature, greed and the future of science. Such as the abuse of genetic power. He is probably the most prophetic person in terms of that field of writing. Many of his works such as Jurassic park, Sphere, Prey, Westworld all have something to say while maintaining a engaging pace and story you can't put down. 


In many ways Crichton shaped my view of the world and how I go about looking at media, in terms of themes, characters and story. But other writers for TV, movies, books and games are inspirations for how that media engages me. When it comes to tv and filmm I like to analyse character arcs and flaws, the music and cinematography, the narrative and more. I do not pretend to be a filmmaker but i am educated enough to comment on it, raise and discuss those aspects and say why i found it engaging, good, or why it didn't work for me.

So that's the kind of things I'll be dong here as well. Post's will include
  • Reviews of games, films, tv shows, comics and other forms of media. Mostly talking story/narrative and themes but also he soundtrack, film making, what worked for me and what didn't etc.
  • Scene analysis of films and shows - diving into all the things I've talked about going into the subtle storytelling and execution of each scene. Mainly Jurassic park films but branching out from there.
  • Unused video ideas and whatever videos I've done that raised something worth sharing again in blog form
  • Narrative analysis of Games - discussing the storytelling, worldbuilding
  • Long form theme/commentary analysis - of themes, ideas,morals, politics presented by Movies/tv shows


That's about all for now. To any of my fans and followers from Youtube and Twitter I hope you stuck around. You'll be used to my pretentious ramblings anyway. To anyone else  hope you like what you see and have your own opinions ad interpretations to discuss.

See you on the Flip.



1 comment:

  1. Hey, man! It's me Julie. Glad to see you're expanding your presence. Remember to shamelessly plug your blog on YouTube, and of course on Twitter, which is where I saw your tweet about your blog. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete